Take each of these quotes from BKS Iyengar and think about it for a day. Live with it, play with it, daydream with it. I’ve put some of my thoughts beneath each one. Let me know what they mean to you…..
1. ‘Giving does not impoverish. With-holding does not enrich.’
Money is energy – it can only flow smoothly through an open purse.
2. ‘Health is not a commodity to be bargained for. It has to be earned through sweat.’
Taking care of yourself can be demanding.
3. ‘Regular practice of yoga can help you face the turmoil of life with steadiness and stability.’
What are they two key words in this quote?
4. ‘Unless people learn to differentiate between the essentials and non-essentials, peace will always elude them’.
Look to Nature for examples of what’s essential. Peace, and the lack of it, is determined by the degree to which we cling to everything else.
5. ‘Self-culture begins only when you are completely engrossed in what you are doing’.
Commit to something, for its own sake, and the doing becomes its own reward.
6. ‘Fear and fatigue block the mind. Confront both squarely, then courage and confidence will flow into you’.
Feel the fear. Do you need to rest first, or do it anyway?
7. ‘Do not stop trying just because perfection eludes you’.
Details matter, and perfection is in the detail.
8. ‘Persistent practice alone is the key to yoga’.
Nothing comes from nothing.
9. ‘The ocean is the self, the waves are the thoughts. The self is silent – the thoughts make noise.’
Make space every day for stillness.
10. ‘If you are happy, pleasant, and unselfish in your behavior towards others, obstacles will shrink. If you are miserly with your emotions and judgmental in your mind, obstacles will grow.’
One of the hardest to master – I find Facebook is a good place to practice this one!