Under the Iyengar Yoga Mentorship programme, trainees study all aspects of yoga in the tradition of BKS Iyengar. We work from a Syllabus of asana and pranayama as set by the Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute in Pune (RIMYI), developed by BKS Iyengar, Geeta and Prashant Iyengar. The mentorship programme covers yoga asana, philosophy, pranayama, yoga therapy, anatomy, teaching skills, class control, online teaching techniques, and much more. You will begin by shadowing and assisting in classes run by your Mentor, attending regular workshops and peer group sessions. You will be observing classes, learning key teaching skills, mirroring and assisting. Eventually you will be teaching your own classes *, and, when you’re ready, preparing for your Level 1 Assessment.
Information about registration, application, assessments and a link to the full syllabus can be found HERE. Please contact me with any questions about the classes, workshops and mentoring process.
Requirements for joining the Mentorship programme are:
- A minimum of 3 years’ study with a qualified Iyengar yoga teacher.
- Current membership of IY(UK) https://iyengaryoga.org.uk/membership-joining/
- Apply and register with IY(UK) to be a ‘Trainee Teacher’ (cost is £45 – once registered, you will have access to all supporting documents on the Mentorship section of the Iyengar Yoga Association website).
- A consistent daily practice of asana and regular practice of Pranayama.
- Be committed to at least 3 years of study with your mentor.
- Workshops and Peer Group workshops may be taken online but only as a last resort. You are expected to also be able to attend at least 5 workshops each year with your mentor face to face.
The Mentorship Process can be started at any time, during which you will be expected to commit to:
- Attend weekly classes with your Mentor at Intermediate Level (Levels 2 or 3)
- Be in regular contact with your Iyengar Mentor.
- Shadow – observe and/or assist – a Beginners level class weekly and stay after for feedback. (This can be arranged to suit.)
- Follow practical and written assignments which will be given to you throughout your training. Your mentor will mark these and give feedback at the Peer Group workshops.
- Study from the book list (see below) and be prepared to discuss topics and themes in relation to ongoing assignments and continual personal development.
- Attend specialist workshops with Hannah and other Level 3 teachers, which could be in the form of intensives, workshops on special subjects such as Pranayama, Philosophy, Yoga for Specific Conditions etc.
- Maintain a practice diary and log all your class/workshop attendances.
- Be passionate about the method, seek out learning from other Level 3 and 4 teachers and keep an accurate record of practice and attendance for your Mentor to sign.
- Attend Peer Group Workshops as part of the Level 1 Workshops which will include teaching practice and feedback. In these workshops we discuss the key skills of teaching including: Demonstration, Instruction, Observation, Correction, Adjustment, Use of Props, Class Safety, Lesson Planning, Care of Students with Specific Conditions.
- *Trainees may informally teach one small group of friends or family members in the second and subsequent years of mentorship and may take out insurance for this purpose.
- As your training progresses, I will need to observe your teaching practice so I may be attending your classes too.
- The mentorship period will last a minimum of three years but may take longer.
Once your mentor feels you are ready for assessment, you will be recommended to the IY(UK) to take the 2 day Level 1 teaching exam.
The Teaching practice and syllabus for Levels 1 and 2 can be found here. This is the required and recommended reading list for the theory part of the course:
Tree of Yoga
Art of Yoga
Yoga in Action: Preliminary Course Yoga in Action: Intermediate Cour
Light on Yoga:
Part 1: Introduction
Part 2: Yogasanas (Relevant Asanas)
Part 3: Pranayama (Relevant Pranayamas)
Light on Pranayama: Section 1 Section 2: Chapter 10
Basic Guidelines for Teachers of Yoga
Light on Life and Yogashastra Level 1,2,3